Backdrop 1.5 is a release packed with new features and an all-new out-of-box experience! A new default theme -- "Basis", drop-down menus, a homepage layout, demo content, and hero block provide a fresh take on the fundamentals of a modern day content management system.
But there is more! From database support for Emoji to dozens of UX improvements, Backdrop 1.5.0 is full of great improvements for your website.
Hero blocks for layouts
Have you been wondering how to add a big fancy splash image to your site? Well wonder no longer, Backdrop now includes a new type of block specifically for this purpose.
Responsive Drop-down Menus
Menus with multiple levels are automatically rendered as responsive drop-down menus on new sites. For older sites you'll need to switch the menu style, but fancy-pants menus are still only a few clicks away (and they also work with keyboard navigation!).
"But, does it work on my phone?" you ask. Of course it does! Backdrop CMS is responsive out of the box, and so is the shiny new drop-down menu.
Database-level Emoji Support
Backdrop 1.5 proudly supports the use of emoji in content, comments, and anywhere else you can enter text. There's a quick update script that will convert your database to a new format that's safe for emoji use.
Complete changes in Backdrop 1.5.0
As always, there are a whole lot of little improvements going into Backdrop also. For those of you who are curious about all the details, here's our release notes:
- Add a new front-end theme (Basis) to core
- Provide responsive drop-down menus out of the box
- Provide a default Home Page layout
- Provide a Hero block feature
- Provide an Existing node block for layouts
- Provide a list of blocks and the modules that provide them
- Allow Emoji (Switch MySQL encoding from utf8 to utf8mb4)
- Allow non-administrative users to view unpublished nodes
- Allow site builders to disable the /node path
- Set default URL alias patterns for everything in core
- Add HTML tag selector (Format dropdown) into the Rich-Text editor
- Terminology and interface improvements for the Existing content block
- Current menu local task (child/button) is unclear
- Remain on manage blocks page when layout is saved
- Move the Page title settings to a dialog
- Use 'edit' instead of 'configure' when managing layouts
- Add a "Login" link to the User Account menu and remove the login block from the sidebar
- Allow bulk generation of path aliases for individual entity bundlesbackdrop/backdrop-issues#2077
- Display notification badges on smaller screen sizes
- Add styling to configuration management diff
- Move settings for Administrator role and Anonymous users to Roles page
- Improve the text displayed when search returns no results
- Clarify default publishing setting label on content type forms
- Fix Random failures in LayoutBlockTextTest
- Provide a mechanism for menu callbacks to JSON only
- Maintenance page should hide sidebar if it is empty
- Remove obsolete region support from themes.