Project History and Future
- Version 1.0 (January 15, 2015)
- Version 1.1 (May 15, 2015)
- Version 1.2 (September 15, 2015)
- Version 1.3 (January 15, 2016)
- Version 1.4 (May 15, 2016)
- Version 1.5 (September 15, 2016)
- Version 1.6 (January 15, 2017)
- Version 1.7 (May 15, 2017)
- Version 1.8 (September 15, 2017)
- Version 1.9 (January 15, 2018)
- Version 1.10 (May 15, 2018) (current release)
- Version 1.11 (September 15, 2018)
- Version 2.0 (Jan 15, 2019) (tentative)
Key features in version 1.0
Release date: January 15th, 2015
Backdrop 1.0 (announcement and release notes) was the first release of the Drupal fork, Backdrop. It included a number of major improvements over Drupal 7 while maintaining a high degree of compatibility. This release was in development for 16 months of development to deliver a next-generation CMS platform. Key features included:
- Configuration Management System
- Built-in Content Listing Generator
- Revamped Layout System
- Improved Performance
- Improved Mobile Support
- Reduced Theme System Complexity
- An upgrade path from Drupal 7
Key features in version 1.1
Release date: May 15th, 2015
- More tokens and a token UI in core.
- Automated URL alias creation for Users, Taxonomy Terms, and Nodes.
- A fresh new look to the administration theme!
Key features in version 1.2
Release date: September 15th, 2015
- Built-in Rich text editor.
- Built-in Date fields.
- Built-in Link field.
- Built-in E-mail field.
Key features in version 1.3
Release date: January 15th, 2016
- Expanding the capabilities of the Layout edit (more out-of-box blocks and features)
- Easier and more powerful configuration of content types, vocabularies, and user accounts.
- Notification icon in the administrative toolbar for status report problems.
- Faster page loads with Background Fetch and Cron jobs.
Key features in version 1.4
Release date: May 15th, 2016
- 10 new responsive layouts based on the Bootstrap 4 grid system.
- Automatic and manual path redirection ability when path aliases change (Redirect module).
- A project browser module (Installer) that allows finding and installing modules from within the Backdrop UI.
- The Layout module UI has been improved with new terminology, more descriptive listings, and improved configuration of conditionals.
Key features in version 1.5
Release date: September 15th, 2016
- A new front-end theme.
- A new default home-page layout.
- Responsive and drop-down menus by default.
- Emoji support.
Key features in version 1.6
Release date: January 15th, 2017
- Add an image & file management User Interface
- Add support for custom view modes
- Add a hamburger-menu toggle for responsive menus.
Key features in version 1.7
Release date: May 15th, 2017
- Views that contain Block Displays have substantially increased powers, allowing per-placement overrides of pager settings, contextual filters, and more.
- Page titles, tabs, messages, and action links may now be placed as blocks and moved around within layouts.
- Images can be uploaded in the Rich-Text editor via Drag and Drop or Clipboard Paste.
- Add the ability to add links to Images in the Rich-Text editor.
- Allow adding links to local paths in the Rich-Text editor via an autocomplete dialog.
- Clean up the User Interfaces for Views, Status & Update reports, the Autocomplete widget, and the Rich-Text editor.
Key features in version 1.8
Release date: Sept 15th, 2017
- Administrative interface design and usability improvements.
- Enhancements to Menu blocks.
- Unpublished content indicators in the Basis theme.
Key features in version 1.9
Release date: Jan 15th, 2018
- Manage files independent from other content.
- Redirect logged-out visitors to
- Integrates many bug-fixes and improvements that were also made to Drupal 7.
Key features in version 1.10
Release date: May 15th, 2018
- Posts can now be scheduled into the future
- Commenting can now be closed automatically
- Improvements to the installer, and a better first impression
- Improvements to module, theme, and layout selection interfaces
- See the GitHub issue tracker for 1.10 issues.
New features planned for version 1.11
Scheduled release date: September 15th, 2018
- See the GitHub issue tracker for 1.11 issues.
Goals for 2.0
Backdrop 2.0 will work on improving systems that require API breaks. A subset of proposed topics are listed below. Please note: our priorities will change based on the most urgent needs of Backdrop community.
- Automatic (security) updates.
- Expanded multi-lingual support.
- Reduced theme system complexity.
- More systems moved into configuration (possibly including menu links and module state).