Project History and Future
- Version 1.0.0 (January 15, 2015)
- Version 1.1.0 (May 15, 2015)
- Version 1.2.0 (September 15, 2015)
- Version 1.3.0 (January 15, 2016)
- Version 1.4.0 (May 15, 2016)
- Version 1.5.0 (September 15, 2016)
- Version 1.6.0 (January 15, 2017)
- Version 1.7.0 (May 15, 2017) (current release)
- Version 1.8.0 (September 15, 2017)
- Version 2.0.0 (January 15, 2018) (tentative)
Key features in version 1.0.0
Release date: January 15th, 2015
Backdrop 1.0.0 (announcement and release notes) was the first release of the Drupal fork, Backdrop. It included a number of major improvements over Drupal 7 while maintaining a high degree of compatibility. This release was in development for 16 months of development to deliver a next-generation CMS platform. Key features included:
- Configuration Management System
- Built-in Content Listing Generator
- Revamped Layout System
- Improved Performance
- Improved Mobile Support
- Reduced Theme System Complexity
- An upgrade path from Drupal 7
Key features in version 1.1.0
Release date: May 15th, 2015
- More tokens and a token UI in core.
- Automated URL alias creation for Users, Taxonomy Terms, and Nodes.
- A fresh new look to the administration theme!
Key features in version 1.2.0
Release date: September 15th, 2015
- Built-in Rich text editor.
- Built-in Date fields.
- Simple Link field.
- Simple E-mail field.
Key features in version 1.3.0
Release date: January 15th, 2016
- Expanding the capabilities of the Layout edit (more out-of-box blocks and features)
- Easier and more powerful configuration of content types, vocabularies, and user accounts.
- Notification icon in the administrative toolbar for status report problems.
- Faster page loads with Background Fetch and Cron jobs.
Key features in version 1.4.0
Release date: May 15th, 2016
- 10 new responsive layouts based on the Bootstrap 4 grid system.
- Automatic and manual path redirection ability when path aliases change (Redirect module).
- A project browser module (Installer) that allows finding and installing modules from within the Backdrop UI.
- The Layout module UI has been improved with new terminology, more descriptive listings, and improved configuration of conditionals.
Key features in version 1.5.0
Release date: September 15th, 2016
- A new front-end theme.
- A new default home-page layout.
- Responsive and drop-down menus by default.
- Emoji support.
Key features in version 1.6.0
Release date: January 15th, 2017
- Add an image & file management User Interface
- Add support for custom view modes
- Add a hamburger-menu toggle for responsive menus.
Key features in version 1.7.0
Release date: May 15th, 2017
- Views that contain Block Displays have substantially increased powers, allowing per-placement overrides of pager settings, contextual filters, and more.
- Page titles, tabs, messages, and action links may now be placed as blocks and moved around within layouts.
- Images can be uploaded in the Rich-Text editor via Drag and Drop or Clipboard Paste.
- Add the ability to add links to Images in the Rich-Text editor.
- Allow adding links to local paths in the Rich-Text editor via an autocomplete dialog.
- Clean up the User Interfaces for Views, Status & Update reports, the Autocomplete widget, and the Rich-Text editor.
New features planned for version 1.8.0
Scheduled release date: Sept 15th, 2017
- Features for this release are still TBD.
- See the GitHub issue tracker for 1.8.0 issues.
Goals for 2.0.0
Backdrop 2.0.0 will work on improving systems that require API breaks. In particular, this likely includes expanding language support, further reducing theme system complexity, and moving more systems into configuration, including menu links and module state (enabled/disabled). See the GitHub issue tracker for more 2.x issues.