Project History and Future
- Version 1.0.0 (January 15, 2015)
- Version 1.1.0 (May 15, 2015)
- Version 1.2.0 (September 15, 2015)
- Version 1.3.0 (January 15, 2016)
- Version 1.4.0 (May 15, 2016)
- Version 1.5.0 (September 15, 2016) (current release)
- Version 1.6.0 (January 15, 2017)
- Version 1.7.0 (May 15, 2017)
- Version 2.0.0 (January 15, 2018) (tentative)
Key features in version 1.0.0
(January 15th, 2015)
Backdrop 1.0.0 (release notes) was the first release of the Drupal fork, Backdrop. It included a number of major improvements over Drupal 7 while maintaining a high degree of compatibility. This release was in development for 16 months of development to deliver a next-generation CMS platform. Key features included:
- Configuration Management System
- Built-in Content Listing Generator
- Revamped Layout System
- Improved Performance
- Improved Mobile Support
- Reduced Theme System Complexity
- An upgrade path from Drupal 7
Key features in version 1.1.0
(May 15th, 2015)
Backdrop 1.1.0 (release notes) included new out-of-box abilities. Including:
- More tokens and a token UI in core.
- Automated URL alias creation for Users, Taxonomy Terms, and Nodes.
- A fresh new look to the administration theme!
Key features in version 1.2.0
(September 15th, 2015)
- Built-in Rich text editor.
- Built-in Date fields.
- Simple Link field.
- Simple E-mail field.
Key features in version 1.3.0
(January 15th, 2016)
- Expanding the capabilities of the Layout edit (more out-of-box blocks and features)
- Easier and more powerful configuration of content types, vocabularies, and user accounts.
- Notification icon in the administrative toolbar for status report problems.
- Consistent terminology around user accounts, content creation, and use of "edit" vs. "configure".
- Faster page loads with Background Fetch and Cron jobs.
Key features in version 1.4.0
(May 15th, 2016)
Backdrop 1.4.0 (release notes) focused on providing new site-building tools, making it easier than ever to build a Backdrop site.
- 10 new responsive layouts based on the Bootstrap 4 grid system.
- Automatic and manual path redirection ability when path aliases change (Redirect module).
- A project browser module (Installer) that allows finding and installing modules from within the Backdrop UI.
- The Layout module UI has been improved with new terminology, more descriptive listings, and improved configuration of conditionals.
Key features in version 1.5.0
(September 15th, 2016)
Backdrop 1.5.0 (release notes) focused on creating an all-new out-of-box experience.
- A new front-end theme.
- A new default home-page layout.
- Responsive and drop-down menus by default.
- Emoji support.
- See the Github issue tracker for 1.5.0 issues.
New features planned for 1.6.0 version
(January 15th, 2017)
Backdrop 1.6.0 (release notes) focused on improving the user experience.
- Add an image & file management User Interface
- Add support for custom view modes
- Add a hamburger-menu toggle for responsive menus.
- See the Github issue tracker for 1.6.0 issues.
New features planned for 1.7.0 version
(May 15th, 2017)Features are still being determined for this release. Items so far include:
- References module for building relationships between Users, Nodes, Terms and other entities.
- More TBD.
- See the Github issue tracker for 1.7.0 issues.
New features planned for 1.8.0 version
(Sept 15th, 2017)
Features for this release are still TBD.
New features planned for future 1.x versions
Additional features will continue to be added to 1.x as additional minor releases. See the Github issue tracker for 1.x-future issues.
Goals for 2.0.0
Backdrop 2.0.0 will work on improving systems that require API breaks. In particular, this likely includes expanding language support, further reducing theme system complexity, and moving more systems into configuration, including menu links and module state (enabled/disabled). See the Github issue tracker for more 2.x issues.