Project present and future
- Version 1.22 current release (released May 15, 2022)
- Goals for Version 1.23 (release scheduled for September 15, 2022)
- Goals for future 1.x releases
- Version 2.0 (not before Jan 2025)
Key features in version 1.22
Release date: May 15th, 2022
Backdrop 1.22 (release notes); the most visible change to version 1.22.0 is new default content on the front page of the site to help illustrate a common use case for the new Card content type. This release also includes multiple user experience and developer experience improvements. New features include:
- Provide "Cards" by default – a new hidden-path content type (for new installations).
- Add a new component to the Admin Bar with information about the current page.
- Allow blocks to be disabled in Layouts.
- Configure default date formats based on timezone/country (for new installations).
- Add a new cropped image style specifically for cards (for new installations).
Features planned for version 1.23
Scheduled release date: Sept 15th, 2022
- Allow titles to be hidden on comments
Goals for 1.x
All Backdrop 1.x releases will include new features that do not require API breaks. A subset of proposed topics are listed below. Please note: our priorities may change based on the most urgent needs of the Backdrop community.
- A more intuitive administrative interface with every release.
- Improved the out-of-the-box Experience.
- Ensure that a transition from Drupal 7 is as smooth as possible.
- More TBD!
- Automatic core updates (push-button core updates have been available since 1.11).
- A flexible reference field for content, user accounts, etc.
- Improved multilingual support (especially for RTL languages).
- More TBD!
Goals for 2.0
Backdrop Version 1 will continue to be the active branch of development until at least January 15th, 2025. Backdrop version 1 will continue to be supported until Backdrop version 3 is released.
Backdrop 2.0 will include the removal of deprecated functions, and will most likely include changes in HTML markup.
The upgrade from Backdrop 1 to Backdrop 2 will be easier than the upgrade from Drupal 7 to Backdrop CMS, which is already easier than the upgrade from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 or Drupal 9.
See the GitHub issue tracker for more 2.x issues for a set of proposed changes that cannot happen during the 1.x cycle.