Effective starting: May 25, 2018
Your privacy is of paramount importance to Backdrop CMS. Please read this Policy to understand what types of information we collect from you, for what purposes and what choices you have regarding our collection of your information.
We will handle your Personal Data in accordance with Data Protection Legislation. “Data Protection Legislation” means the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 and Directive 95/46/EC, any other applicable law or regulation relating to the processing of personal data and to privacy (including the E-Privacy Directive), as such legislation shall be amended, revised or replaced from time to time, including by operation of the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (“GDPR”) (and laws implementing or supplementing the GDPR).
Information we gather from you
We collect several types of information from and about you, including:
- When you create an account, we collect your email address and password. We treat this information as "Personally Identifiable Information" or "PII". We never store passwords in plain text format, only secure password hashes.
- Non-personally identifiable information, such as demographic information about you, information about your computer system or device, your preferences, your online activity, and your location information ("Non-Personally Identifiable Information" or "Non-PII"). Non-PII, by itself, does not identify you, but it can be combined with other information in way that allows you to be identified. If this happens, we will treat the combined information as PII.
We may collect information from or about you in the following ways:
- Information Provided by You. We collect information provided by you when you (1) create your account; (2) communicate with us or request information from us by e-mail or other means; (3) participate in our online forum or post content on this Website ("User Contributions"), (4) fill out forms or fields on this Website; (5) sign-up for our newsletters on this Website or other sites; or (6) participate in our online surveys or questionnaires.
- Automatic Information Collection. We also use automatic data collection technologies to collect and store certain information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns when you interact with this Website through your computer or mobile device.
Your Backdrop CMS site may send anonymous usage stats including your websites's ip address and information about your currently installed modules and their versions to updates.backdropcms.org when checking for available updates. Statistics may be aggregated so that the updates system could identify changes in the use of modules over the lifetime of each anonymized site. Those statistics do not contain Personally Identifiable Information and are only used for providing usage data on Backdropcms.org project pages and in anonymized reports which may be shared via blog posts and other channels.
The Account that you create on this Website will be visible to all users of this Website. Your User Contributions are posted on this Website and transmitted to others at your own risk.
Service providers and partners
We use a number of service providers to help us operate the site and provide a high quality user experience to our visitors. Some of those providers can access Non-PII about you via automatic data collection technologies.
Automatic Information Collection Technologies
The information that we collect about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns includes, but is not limited to, traffic data, location data, logs, the resources that you access, search queries, as well as information about the computer or device you are using and the Internet connection, including your IP address, operating system and browser type.
This automatically collected information typically does not include PII, but we may maintain it or associate it with your personal information collected in other ways. Collection of this type of information helps us to improve this Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service by enabling us to, among other things: (1) estimate our audience size and usage patterns; (2) store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize this Website according to your individual interests; (3) speed up your searches; and (4) recognize you when you return to this Website.
The automatic collection technologies we or our service providers use for this automatic information collection may include:
- Cookies (or browser cookies). This Website may use two types of cookies (small data files placed on the hard drive of your computer when you visit a website): a "session cookie," which expires immediately when you end your browsing session and a "persistent cookie," which stores information on your hard drive so when you end your browsing session and return to this website later, the cookie information is still available.
How We Use Your Information
We use your information, including any PII, to:
- Post user contributions.
- Provide you with Newsletters if you opt-in to receive them.
- Protect the security and integrity of this Website.
- Measure the overall effectiveness of our online content.
Disclosure of Your Information
We will not disclose or share your Personally Identifiable Information unless we need to protect the rights or safety of users of this Website, or when required by law. We may disclose and share aggregated non-PII at our discretion.
Your Choices About Use and Disclosure of Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding our use of your personal information. Below are some mechanisms that provide you with control over your information:
- Promotional and Informational e-mails. We do not send any promotional or informational emails without your opt-in first. If you do not wish to receive promotional e-mails from us, follow the unsubscribe process at the bottom of the promotional e-mail. Note that even if you opt-out, you may still receive transactional e-mails from us (e.g., e-mails related to the completion of your registration, correction of user data, password reset requests, reminder e-mails that you have requested, and any other similar communications essential to your transactions on this Website).
- Google Analytics. You can opt out from Google Analytics tracking via your browser privacy settings or by using browser addon.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
The appropriate method(s) for accessing your information, if any, will depend on which of our websites and services you have visited or used. Depending on the website and service, you may have the ability to view or edit some of your information online by logging into the website and visiting your account page. If you remove information from your user account, it will stay in backups on our servers for 2 weeks, after which it will be completely removed.
To request access to, correct, or delete any personal information that you have provided to us you may contact us at email@example.com.
We cannot delete your personal information except by also deleting your account. We also may not be able to accommodate a request to change or delete information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirements, or cause the information to be incorrect.
You have the right do delete your Account at any time. Upon deletion of your account, the data will stay in backups on our servers for 2 weeks, after which it will be completely removed. Public content you created, such as blog posts, forum posts, showcase items, etc. won’t be deleted. All this content will be attributed to an ‘Anonymous’ user. Once deleted, your account is gone and can not be restored.
Protection of Your Information
We use reasonable security measures to protect your information collected through this Website. We do not store passwords in plain text format, only secure password hashes. However, no method of transmission or electronic storage is 100% safe, and we cannot guarantee absolute security. Therefore, your use of this Website is at your own risk and we do not promise or guarantee, and you should not expect, that your information will always and absolutely remain private and secure. We are not responsible for the circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on or concerning this Website. You are also responsible for taking reasonable steps to protect your personal information against unauthorized disclosure or misuse.
Visiting this Website from Outside the United States