Enables blocking of IP addresses.
This module restores lost Drupal core functionality with some improvements.
- see when IP was blocked, who of users block this IP and reason for blocking (if specified);
- set a 404 (Not Found) status code for visitors from blocked IP instead of default 403 (Access Denied);
- enable logging for access attempts from blocked IPs;
- block or unblock IP from "Recent log messages" event pages (admin/reports/event/EVENT_NUMBER).
New in version 1.x-1.0.5:
- display number of blocked IPs on the "Status report" page;
- integration with the new "Antiscan" module (https://backdropcms.org/project/antiscan) to
automatically block IP addresses used by bad crawlers or vulnerability scanners.
Install this module using the official Backdrop CMS instructions at https://backdropcms.org/guide/modules
Note: if the "Ban IP" module is installed, you need to uninstall it first to avoid confusion when using the same,
but extended database table.
Configuration and usage
Administration page is available via menu Administration > Configuration >
User accounts > IP address blocking (admin/config/people/ip-blocking)
and may be used for:
block an IP address:
- enter a valid IP address (for example, 10.0.0.1);
- (optional) enter description of reason for blocking this IP;
- click Add;
unblock previously blocked IP address:
- beside an IP address, click "unblock", then confirm unblocking.
While browsing "Recent log messages" (admin/reports/dblog) you can quickly review
an individual entry (admin/reports/event/EVENT_NUMBER) and block (or unblock)
an IP address from the "Operation" link.
This link will be shown for events of types 'access denied', 'antiscan', 'ip_blocking', 'login_allowlist',
'page not found', 'system', 'user' and 'php' only if it is valid IP address, and not the IP address of the currently logged in user.
Screenshots are available at https://findlab.net/projects/ip-address-blocking
This project is GPL v2 software. See the LICENSE.txt file in this directory for
For bug reports, feature or support requests, please use the module
issue queue at https://github.com/backdrop-contrib/ip_blocking/issues.