This module is discontinued and should be replaced by their renamed successor,
the module "Login allowlist" available at https://backdropcms.org/project/login_allowlist
or https://github.com/backdrop-contrib/login_allowlist created with the aim of use inclusive naming.
Restrict login to your site for whitelisted users only, protect against "lazy"
brute force attack and harmful malformed login requests.
You may want to restrict access to login to your site for a few registered
users only by creating your whitelist.
"Lazy" brute force attack can use large number non-repeated IPs with relatively
rare requests (one or two in few minutes) and cannot be prevented by using
This module reacts to such behavior by returning error 404 or 403 (you can
select which) to an attacker for any user login related activity:
- in case username or email is not in whitelist;
- if login request is harmfully malformed, for example, executable code
By enabling logging all unwanted login attempts you can have an idea which pairs
of usernames and passwords have been used for brute force, IP and User-Agent
string used by attacker script.
Additionally, User-Agent strings used by known attackers (also collected from
the module log) can be placed to block-list to reject further login requests.
Please note: when this module enabled, only administrators can manage accounts
for users, like new user registration or password reset.
Install this module using the official Backdrop CMS instructions at
Configuration page is available via menu Administration > Configuration >
User accounts > Login whitelist (admin/config/people/login_whitelist).
Under the tab "Main settings":
- allow login to all registered active users (enabled by default);
- or create a whitelist for some users as described under a corresponding field;
- change type of HTTP status code returning to an unwanted visitor.
Under the tab "Blocked User-Agents":
block a User-Agent string:
- enter unwanted User-Agent string (wildcarded part of the string can be used);
unblock previously blocked User-Agent:
- beside a User-Agent string, click "Unblock", then confirm unblocking.
This project is GPL v2 software. See the LICENSE.txt file in this directory for
For bug reports, feature or support requests, please use the module
issue queue at https://github.com/backdrop-contrib/login_whitelist/issues.