A full upgrade path from Drupal 7 to Backdrop 1.x is included for core modules.
Backdrop CMS acts as though it were the next version of Drupal for the purposes of upgrading, making it so that you can upgrade to Backdrop CMS directly from a Drupal 7 database.
Benefits of Upgrading from Drupal 7 to Backdrop CMS
Upgrading your site from Drupal 7 to Backdrop CMS should result in several instantaneous improvements to your site:
- Lots of new features like content scheduling, and automatic comment closing.
- Pages load faster thanks to a simpler render pipeline and improved caching.
- Improved security throughout, including password improvements.
- Easier editorial experience with clearer interfaces and simpler terminology.
- Faster administrator experience with fewer clicks to achieve the same goal.
- Easier routine maintenance with push-button self-updates.
For complete upgrade instructions, please see the documentation on Upgrading from Drupal 7 on the API site.
Upgrading from Drupal 6
We recommend using Drupal's built-in upgrade path to go from from Drupal 6 to Drupal 7 (which could be tricky), and then Backdrop's Built-in path to go from Drupal 7 to Backdrop CMS (which should be easy). Currently, there are no tools available to upgrade a Drupal 6 site directly to Backdrop.
Crossgrading from Drupal 8
We recommend using the same tools that would be used to go from Drupal 8 to Drupal 7 for Backdrop CMS: Migrate module, custom scripts, etc.